Sometimes it takes a tragedy to establish or improve public policy.
Sex abuse memories can be repressed for years.
- An increase in nightmares and/or other sleeping difficulties
- Angry outbursts
- Difficulty walking or sitting
- Withdrawn behavior
- Pregnancy or contraction of a venereal disease, particularly if under age 14
- Propensity to run away
- Refusal to change for gym or to participate in physical activities
- Regressive behaviors depending on their age (e.g., return to thumb-sucking or bed-wetting)
- Reluctance to be left alone with a particular person or people
- Sexual knowledge, language, and/or behaviors that are unusual and inappropriate for their age
- Is unduly protective of the child or severely limits the child’s contact with other children, especially those of the opposite sex
- Is secretive and isolated
- Describes marital difficulties involving sexual relations or family power struggles.